5 Fast & Effective Ant Control Tips For Phoenix Property Owners
June 26, 2020 - Ants
If a supermarket existed just down the road from you and offered everything for free, how often would you visit it? All the time, most likely. Free anything is great, especially food. This is exactly how ants feel. The only problem is that they have no understanding of ownership, so to them, every home is a supermarket filled with free goodies. Of course, this drives homeowners right up the wall. If you are worried about ants getting in and causing trouble around your Phoenix property this summer, we are here today with five fast and effective ant control tips you can use to stop them.
The Types Of Ants That Invade Properties
Not all ants like being inside homes. Many species of ants prefer to live out in nature and primarily live on plant life. It is only a select few species of ants that are known for invading properties. Here are the ones you should know about.
Odorous House Ants
Odorous house ants are typically outdoor pests but can occasionally find their way inside due to inclement weather or unfavorable temperatures. When squished or threatened odorous house ants can release a pungent odor very similar to that of rotten coconuts.
Pavement ants get their name for the way they build their nests under driveways, patios, sidewalks, and foundations. During the winter months, it is common for pavement ants to seek shelter and food within the walls of homes.
Crazy ants get their name for the way they react when threatened, running around in erratic ways. One thing that makes crazy ants troublesome is their ability to bite.
Carpenter ants invade homes more to build their nests, and less to search for food. If the condition of any part of your home’s wood is poor, carpenter ants might try to build their nests out of it. Over time this can cause extensive damages that can cost an arm and a leg to repair.
Pharaoh ants are by far the most dangerous ant that could invade your Phoenix home. Able to carry and spread several dangerous diseases such as salmonellosis and staphylococcus, these tiny pests are the last creature you want raiding your pantry.
How You Can Keep Ants Out Of Your Home
The good news is that ants can be controlled. Regardless of what species of ant is trying to get into your Phoenix home, here are five prevention tips you can use to keep them away.
- Keep your home clean. Ants primarily feed on dropped food and spilled beverages. By thoroughly cleaning your home once a week and picking up messes as they happen, you can greatly reduce your chances of having trouble with ants.
- Reduce moisture buildup. All ants have to drink, by fixing leaky pipes, fixtures, and broken gutters around your home you can reduce their available water sources and make your home harder to live in.
- Repair or replace wood that has been negatively affected by moisture, rot, or decay. This will specifically make your home less susceptible to carpenter ant invasions.
- Make sure all of your trash cans have tight-fitting lids to keep ants out of them.
- Store leftover foods and beverages as well as pet food in sealed containers that ants cannot gain access to.
A Better Way To Keep Ants Out
At the end of the day, no amount of DIY ant prevention can stand up to the effectiveness of high-quality pest control in Phoenix, AZ. At Bug Science, we only use the most effective and reliable products and methods when dealing with common Phoenix-area pests. If you need ants out of your home or are looking for a way to keep them out for good, we can help.
Reach out to us today to schedule a residential or commercial pest control appointment for your Phoenix home and property.