5 Easy & Effective Ways To Keep Mosquitoes Away From Your Phoenix Yard
September 15, 2020 - Mosquitoes
Everything about summer in Phoenix is great, except for the mosquitoes. Nothing ruins the fun of a warm summer day quite like the onslaught of mosquito bites, and the more you learn about mosquitoes, the less you’ll like them. Arizona residents deal with mosquitoes every summer, but Phoenix property owners should know how important it is to learn all the ways they can avoid these pernicious pests. Let’s discuss what makes mosquitoes so dangerous, and how to remove mosquitoes from your Phoenix yard.
Mosquito Identification Guide
Mosquitoes are easily identifiable pests due to their large, gangly appearance. Mosquitoes have striped bodies that grow to around ¼ of an inch. They have a pair of shorter antennae, a set of translucent wings, and six legs that grow longer than their bodies. These legs give the pest an outsized appearance and are most often what people notice first about a mosquito.
Probably the most recognizable trait of a mosquito is on the mosquito’s head. A long rod-shaped structure called a proboscis, which the mosquito uses to draw in your blood. This identifying feature is also how the mosquito transmits diseases to its victims.
You are far more likely to see a mosquito in the air rather than on your skin since these pests move fast and work hard to escape detection. Thankfully, mosquitoes are easily recognizable, making them somewhat easier to avoid – and avoid them you must.
What Makes Mosquitoes Dangerous?
As it is, no one likes mosquitoes. Mosquito bites take weeks to stop itching, and the sight of these pests can ruin your night. Even if you can avoid a bite the incessant buzzing is enough to drive anyone crazy.
However, Phoenix residents would do well to avoid mosquitoes at all costs. Believe it or not, mosquitoes may be the most dangerous animal on the planet.
All over the world, including right here in Phoenix, mosquitoes spread deadly diseases. All it takes is one bite, and these pests can transmit the pathogens that cause dengue fever, yellow fever, malaria, Zika virus, West Nile virus, and many more dangerous diseases.
Tips To Control Mosquitoes Around Your Phoenix Yard
Mosquitoes are unavoidable in many places, but around your property, you can keep these bloodsuckers away. Consider the following tips to control mosquito problems around your Phoenix home or business. Don't let mosquitoes ruin your summer fun. Instead, protect your space with the following preventative measures.
- Clear standing water. Mosquitoes use puddles and standing water to reproduce, so drain your property to dissuade them. Don't forget to overturn buckets and check yard toys for potential water harborage.
- Clean your gutters. Clogged gutters offer nesting and breeding spaces for mosquitoes. You should also ensure that downspouts are directing water away from your home.
- Trim and clear grasses, bushes, and foliage around your property. These are nesting sites for mosquitoes if they go unmaintained.
- Put up a mosquito net around your porch. This will section off a portion of your yard to be completely mosquito and disease-free.
- Call the professionals. Only a licensed exterminator has the expertise to completely keep these dangerous insects away from your yard.
The pest control experts at Bug Science are ready to protect your family from mosquitoes. Call us today, and one of our residential or commercial pest control professionals in Phoenix will be there shortly to reclaim your summertime fun from mosquitoes.